1/3/13

Manic Baking

You know those days where nothing seems to go right? Well, I'm having one.

Today I had a long list of to-dos and among them was to bake a cake. I had been wanting to make this cake since before the holidays, so I was really excited to give it a go. I ran to the store to get ingredients first thing in the morning. However, not until half way through mixing up the recipe I realize, it's only for one layer... seriously?! (I have to admit, I did get a prepacked cake mix. I've recently started eating dairy free in addition to my gluten free diet and didn't feel like experimenting with cake mix. But shhh... don't tell).

I decide to go to the store after my first cake layer is done baking and promptly start to clean up Christmas decorations. Although, I don't get this finished until after I have spilled water all over the floor.

On my second trip to the store I get more cake mix and dairy free margarine for the icing, which I also forgot the first time. Seems easy enough, but then I proceed to face plant in front of the store and its many patrons.

Once again I am whipping up cake batter when I realize I don't have enough powdered sugar for icing. Trying to avoid a third trip to the store I try to 'make do' with what I do have. Not a good idea! I end up with runny icing and nothing to thicken it with.

This results in me pouring the icing over the cake like a glaze. It might not be pretty but it is finally finished. Sorry there will be no picture of the whole cake. I tried to take a picture of a slice...


but not so great. Although, the cake tasted pretty amazing! It almost made up for all of the craziness that was today.

My inspiration for the cake came from here. Her cake definitely looks much better than mine. I didn't get to add any pretty chocolate decorations. I was just too tired. However, I did use the raspberry filling and chocolate ganache recipes - with some adjustments. They were a great addition to a regular chocolate cake. I will definitely be trying this again with some chocolate decorations after I have double and triple checked my grocery list.

My new kitchen aid mixer was supposed to be the star of this post but it got over shadowed by my hectic day. But I absolutely love it! I can't wait to try many more recipes!


No comments: